DARPA Unfamiliar Metadata Project
- The objective of this project is to link ordinary language queries
to unfamiliar indexes and classifications.
What's the problem
- Databases quite often use idiosyncratic classifications and
unfamiliar terminology in their indexes.
- However, database users are often unfamiliar with terminologies
and classification schemes of a database.
- Therefore, database users sometimes experience difficulty choosing
search terms that are actually used to index the database.
What we are trying to do
- In this project, "Entry Vocabulary Modules" are
built to respond adaptively to a searcher's query posed in ordinary
language. This is accomplished by responding to the ordinary language
query with a ranked list of terms that may more accurately represent
what is sought as it is represented in the database of interest than
the searcher's choice of terms.
- The aim of "Entry Vocabulary Modules" is to facilitate a more
direct connection between ordinary language queries and unfamiliar indexing
terms actually used to organize information in a variety of unfamiliar